Hair Loss and Hair Thinning during Pregnancy
I often hear clients in the studio talking about how thick their was during pregnancy and how after they stopped breast feeding they noticed it thinning out. This usually levels back out after a bit of time but while you’re experiencing it this can be quite scary. You may be asking yourself will my hair ever come back the way it was? In this blog we will go over some of the changes you may experience and give you a heads up of what to expect and
During pregnancy your body experiences many hormonal changes. Some of these hormonal changes can affect your hair. Some women experience their hair becoming thicker and some women unfortunately experience their hair becoming thinner.
Hair thickening during pregnancy is due to high levels of hormone estrogen. This is typically experienced around 15 weeks of pregnancy. Each individual hair grows and resets for 2 to 3 months which then pushes out a new hair growing in that follicle. During pregnancy the hair stays longer in the follicle which slows hair shedding.
Hair thinning during pregnancy is due to the decrease in oestrogen. The decrease in oestrogen occurs when there is a hormonal imbalance, an abortion, misscarriage or stillbirth is experienced, or when the oral contraceptive pill is no longer taken. Hair loss during pregnancy is not uncommon and is experienced between 40 to 50% of women. Hair loss of course can be a difficult symptom during pregnancy but fortunately like most symptoms during pregnancy it is temporary. In the meantime there are a few options to help your hair from thinning and this is where we can help.
Here are some tips and suggestions to try:
- Visiting with an expert at STRUT Hair Solutions about the types of products such as wigs, hair toppers, hair pieces and extensions that are available can help you recover with confidence overnight. STRUT is dedicated to helping women who are experiencing hair loss. We are committed to doing our small part to help you regain your confidence!
- Topical solutions such as thickening serums can help improve hair appearance. Such as our hero product Unveil No. 3 Hair thickening serum to help produce a fuller, thicker head of hair. Unveil’s Thicker Hair Serum is easy to use and is only to be applied to your scalp once a day and you’ll see results in as little as 4 weeks. Benefits with Unveil products is that they are restorative. Meaning the ingredients we use are non-toxic, have no known carcinogens, gluten free, and vegan (no-animal products)! The active ingredients are plant based and use apple stem cell cultures which make it safe to use during pregnancy. Visit unveilhaircare.com
- Avoiding tight and restrictive hair styles such as ponytails, braids, pigtails, hair rollers and other styles that can pull and stress your hair should all be avoided in order to keep hair from thinning.
- Reducing the use of heat damaging tools such as hair curlers, straighteners and blow dryers. Hot tools can cause breakage and dryness which can damage hair appearance. Not using them is a great solution to help keep your hair from experiencing more unnecessary damage.
- Make sure to keep up a healthy diet which contains the essential nutrients. A healthy diet means a healthy body.
Many people believe that when a woman is pregnant she is the most beautiful. It can be hard to feel this way when pregnant because of all of the changes and emotions your body is experiencing. Remember that some of these changes, such as hair loss during pregnancy, are not always permanent. Also remember that there are solutions to help boost your confidence such as visiting Strut Hair Solutions.
Most importantly, remember to be kind to your body during pregnancy and the changes you undergo are all part of becoming a mother.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!