What is Alopecia? Alopecia refers to a medical condition characterized by hair loss, typically on the scalp but can also affect other areas of the body. It is a relatively common condition that can affect both men and women of any age. The severity and pattern of hair loss can vary widely, ranging from small patches to complete loss of hair on the scalp or body.
There are several types of alopecia, including:
- Alopecia areata: This is an autoimmune condition where the immune system mistakenly attacks the hair follicles, resulting in patchy hair loss.
- Androgenetic alopecia: Also known as male or female pattern baldness, this type of alopecia is usually hereditary and is more common as people age. It typically leads to gradual hair thinning and receding hairlines in men and overall hair thinning in women.
- Alopecia totalis and universalis: These are more severe forms of alopecia areata where there is complete hair loss on the scalp (totalis) or on the entire body (universalis).
The exact cause of alopecia is not fully understood, but it is believed to involve a combination of genetic, hormonal, and environmental factors. There is currently no cure for alopecia, but there are several treatment options available to manage the condition and promote hair regrowth. Let’s learn about some common treatments that include:
- Medications: Topical or oral medications such as minoxidil and finasteride may help slow down hair loss and stimulate hair growth.
- Corticosteroids: Injections of corticosteroids into the affected areas can help suppress the immune system and reduce inflammation, allowing hair to regrow.
- Immunotherapy: This involves applying a chemical irritant, such as diphencyprone (DPCP), to the scalp to provoke an allergic reaction. This reaction can stimulate hair regrowth in some cases.
- Hair transplantation: In cases of permanent hair loss, hair transplantation surgery can be performed to transplant hair follicles from unaffected areas to the balding areas.
Living with alopecia can be challenging, both emotionally and socially. Here are some thoughts for individuals dealing with alopecia:
- Consult a healthcare professional: If you notice hair loss or changes in your hair, it is important to seek medical advice to determine the cause and explore available treatment options.
- Reach out for support: Joining support groups or connecting with others who have alopecia can provide valuable emotional support and help you cope with the challenges of the condition.
- Experiment with hairstyles and accessories: Many individuals with alopecia find creative ways to style their remaining hair or use wigs, scarves, or hats to enhance their appearance and boost their confidence.
- Consider wearing wigs: Wigs are a popular option for individuals with alopecia as they provide a natural-looking and customizable solution to hair loss. There are various types of wigs available, including synthetic wigs and human hair wigs. It’s important to find a wig that matches your desired style, comfort, and budget. Consult with a wig specialist or visit a wig salon to find the right wig for you.
- Practice self-care: Taking care of your overall well-being, both physically and mentally, can have a positive impact on your hair and overall health. Eat a balanced diet, exercise regularly, manage stress, and get enough sleep.
- Consider counseling or therapy: Dealing with hair loss can have a significant impact on self-esteem and body image. Seeking professional help can assist you in managing these feelings and building self-confidence.
At Strut Hair Solutions, we understand that hair loss is a personal matter. We offer a warm, safe environment with private fitting rooms. Strut is dedicated to helping our clients with alopecia find solutions with wigs or hair pieces, so they can look and feel like themselves again. Strut has volunteered, donated, and been a great supporter of local alopecia groups. If this is something you would like help with, please let us know.
One of our favorite things to do is help with getting the right wigs for women with hair loss. We have the best wigs in San Diego and the best wigs in Fresno. Browse our high quality wigs first. Or, just give us a call and set up an appointment to get help from experts who are passionate about helping you feel and look your best.
Please know that you are not alone in the fight for self confidence over this disease. Please contact us today and start your road to recovery now!